Thursday, September 16, 2010

Worshiping in Grief

2 Samuel 12:20-23.

David has spent what seems to be an eternity praying to God for the life of his child. He fasted and prayed seeking God for the life of his sick child. But the day came when the child died. David's servants trembled in fear, because if David has shown such emotional trauma during the child's illness what will he do now that the child has died? But surprisingly when told of the child's death, David arises, washes himself, eats, and worships the Lord. When asked about this seemingly strange response to the child's death, David replies that he cannot now bring the child back, but David will one day go through death to be with the child.

It would appear that the Lord includes this story in the Bible to teach us concerning death and our response as God's children to the emotional trauma associated with death encounters. It appears that the following truths are being communicated through this story:

  1. We are permitted to beseech the Lord in prayer when scared and in a time of deep personal need. Never fail to take your burdens to the Lord when you are overwhelmed. There is freedom to pour out our hearts to the Lord in such moments of life.
  2. We are NOT permitted to question and blame the Lord when we are emotionally distraught. To do so is foolishness. We are not wise or good enough to question the God of heaven and earth. Emotional pain is not an excuse to do what is wrong.
  3. Emotional pain is not a reason to rebel against the Lord.
  4. When hurting we need to worship God. No matter what happens in life worship of the living and true God is the great healing agent.
  5. When grieving over death, do not refuse to live. Life is God's, and it is His gift to us. When life is hard, we must not refuse God's gift of life. Our lives are sacrifices unto God for His glory.
PERSONAL: I dread the day; that awful day looming before me. They say it will come; there is nothing more they can do. His life, which has seemed so insignificant and small to the world, is precious and a joy to me. When that day of his departure comes, I will no longer feel the gentle touch of his hand and uninhibited giggles and simple smile.

When he was born I wondered both at his handicap and how I would cope. The great question seemed to be - "What am I going to do with this little handicapped boy?" Now that the real risk is that he will not live with us many more years and every day brings the real possibility of his eminent departure, I now ask myself - "What will I do without him?"

And yet the mystery and majesty of life itself grips me with meaning and depth. God is the constant pillar upon Whom life is grounded and nourished. When the worst happens, the best remains. All is well!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Thank you for letting us peek into your heart.

    I too have this handicap boy (he is a man now). Each time he misses a milestone that my others boys have reached, I grieve. Yet, I praise God for the special man he has become. He sees joy in all the little things. Usually the things we miss. I love how excited he still gets over a new toy! I love how his younger brothers take time to explain things to him. There is so much joy in the small stuff. He just recently got a job at Mcdonalds, just cleaning the dining room. Wow, what pride he takes in seeing that it is done well. :)

    He is healthy and will probably out live us. Which, if I let it, worries the day lights out of me. I praise God that he seen fit for us to have many brothers and sisters who will see that he is well cared for in the future.

    Love to you brother in Christ. I know He holds our sons close to His heart.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete